This post is about my adventure in decorating a hat for a Easter Hat contest. I am president of a Ladies group at my Church. Last year I missed the contest because I was visiting my fabulous grandbabies in Denver and Sheridan Wyoming. I have never met a fashion challenge I didn't like, especially a hat. I was told that the hats that won last year's were more quirky than functional. I was trying to do both. I don't believe in throwing stuff on a hat unless it adds to the design in some way. Also those hats you would never wear except for them to be in a contest. I wanted my hat to be functional. I wanted to wear it again.
As a base, I started with a hat that I already had on hand. I had decorated it for Easter several years ago, and only worn it twice I think. The hat just didn't fit well on my head. I liked the decorations.
I started by making the top part of the hat.
I sewed my fabric to Peltex. Not the fusible kind. I felt that might make it too stiff. I did sew a couple rows of boning to the side that was not going to be squished so it would hold it's shape. Before I stitched up the sides I sewed the ribbon in equal distance rows. Somehow the math worked out and my base fit the hat. Same went for the top of the hat. Sometimes I am so lucky.
I thought my finsihed hat was this top version. I wasn't totally happy with it. I think I was unhappy with the large poka dot ribbon on the smaller poka dot fabric. Too jaring I thought. My husband suggested putting ribbon bows on the top of the hat where the buttons were, and the rest, so to speak is history.
After bows and rhinestons my hat is finished and I love it. I will definitely be wearing this hat on Easter and perhaps for other occassions. I have titled this hat PINK EXPLOSION. If you are wondering I won second place. A quirky hat won 1st place.