Sunday, September 8, 2013
I found the sweater below at the thrift store and I feel in love with the black and white stripes and checks it has. I knew right away I wanted to do something with it for embellishment.
The picture of the back shows knit fringe that I have already put on one sleeve
This was the first front I did. I either draw out the flower pattern on paper and then cut out the t-shirt fabrics or I free form cut the flowers out of the t-shirt fabric. I then pin them on the garment and after I have the design pinned on, I try the garment on to see if I like it. If I have placed the flowers where I want them or if I need more or less designs on the garment. When I feel the design is like I want it, I then use #8 pearl cotton and do a medium running stitch to hand stitch the designs down. I liked this design but decided that the front flowers were too similar in shape, size and color, because white with black polka dots was the only fabric I had that showed up on the busy sweater. Course I didn't decide this until I had everything sewed down. I could of lived with it though.
Again, I am very happy with the completed jacket.This last garment is a very, very loose weave sweater from the thrift store.