Monday, April 1, 2013

Metal tin post cards

At the International Quilt Festival in November of 2012, post cards were sold to support an animal shelter.  The fundraiser was fabulously successful and is going to be carried over to the 2013 Festival. 


Back in 2012, I donated 6 postcards I think.  Right before Festival, I read an article in one of my magazines on making cute necklaces out of denim and decorative metal tins.  I thought that technique might work for making postcards.  Previously I had found a metal tin in the shape of a dog bone that had cute dogs on it.  I bought it with the idea in mind of making necklaces.


I started the three postcards with the larger dogs before the Festival but didn't get them finished.  If I knew then what I know now, I would of made the decorative metal tin into a purse, but they sure make cute postcards for a fundraiser for an animal shelter.

The smaller dogs were on the sides of the metal tins.  I just couldn't throw them away, so I cut and straightened out the pieces.  For all the postcards, I punched holes in the tins with a 1.25mm metal hole puncher.  I just saw a 1.8mm metal hole puncher at JoAnn's in the jewelry section.  The hole puncher makes a smooth hole on both the front and back of the metal. 



The stitching on one of the postcards was made with heaiver thread and stitched on the sewing machine.  The other cards were hand stitched with #8 pearl cotton.  I can't wait for them to fly off to Houston

 

3 comments:

  1. Maggie, these are simply "a-dog-able"! Now I'm inspired. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, was the red thread the one done with the sewing machine? And what sort or needle did you use please?

    ReplyDelete